of the Romanian Special Interest Group on Computer-Human
of the Association for Computing Machinery
Article I - Name
1. This organization shall be called the Romanian
Association for Computing Machinery Special Interest Group on Computer-Human
Interaction, also known as SIGCHI Romania, or RoCHI for short. In these bylaws
it is referred to as the Chapter; the Association for Computing Machinery is
referred to as the ACM.
2. The scope of the Chapter is Human-Computer
Interaction (HCI). “Human-computer interaction is a discipline concerned
with the design, evaluation and implementation of interactive computing
systems for human use and with the study of major phenomena surrounding
them.” (ACM SIGCHI Curricula for Human-Computer Interaction)
3. The Chapter will support activities complimentary to
ACM SIGCHI, the ACM, and other ACM activities in Romania.
Article II -
1. The Chapter is organized and will be operated
exclusively for educational and scientific purposes to promote the following:
a. To promote increased knowledge of and greater
interest in the science, design, development and applications of modern
computing in HCI.
b. A means of communication between persons having an
interest in HCI, from both academia and industry.
2. The activities of this Chapter will include the
a. Collecting and disseminating information through a
newsletter, or other publication.
b. Sponsoring or co-sponsoring meetings, discussion
groups, workshops, and conferences.
c. Working with other ACM units on activities such as
lectures, professional development seminars and technical briefings.
3. The Chapter is chartered by the ACM. It is formed and
will operate under the sponsorship of the ACM, the Membership Activities
Board, and the SIG Board.
Article III -
1. Membership in the Chapter shall be open to all ACM
members and nonmembers, upon request and payment of any local dues.
2. Voting membership in the Chapter shall be granted to
all ACM members and ACM SIG members.
3. Student membership shall be open to all full-time
students. Student membership dues shall not exceed 75 percent of regular
Article IV -
1. The officers of this Chapter shall be: Chair, Vice-Chair
with Publications, Vice-Chair with Conferences, Vice-Chair with Education, Secretary
2. At least 3 officers of the Chapter must be voting members of
3. The officers shall be elected by a plurality of the
votes. They shall take office on a date that is the closest possible to July,
1st and serve for three years.
Article V - Duties
1. The Chair is the principal officer and is responsible
for leading the Chapter and managing its activities in accordance with the
policies and procedures of the ACM and these bylaws. The Chair shall preside
at all meetings of the chapter and of its Executive Council.
a. With the advise of the Chapter's Executive Council,
the Chair shall appoint all members of committees of this Chapter and all
b. With the advise of the Chapter's Executive Council,
the Chair shall make everything to preserve some balance between involvements
2. A Vice-Chair shall preside at meetings in the
absence of the Chair, assist the Chair in the management of the Chapter, and
perform other duties that may be assigned by the Chair.
3. The duties of the Vice-Chair with Publications
include: the management of RoCHI journal and RoCHI book series, such as the
appointment of editorial board members, editors-in-chief, and liason with
4. The duties of the Vice-Chair with Conferences include: the management of
RoCHI conferences, such as the appointment of program committee members,
conference chair / program chair, location and date.
5. The duties of the Vice-Chair with Education include: establish, maintain,
and distribute a mailing list of all persons interested by education in HCI,
whatever the level is (from Bachelors to Ph.D.) or whatever the purpose is
(from schools to industries and education groups), establish, maintain, and distribute a list of courses and formations on
HCI in Romania and will examine their relationship with the ACM SIGCHI
Curricula on HCI.
6. The Secretary / Treasurer shall keep the minutes of all Chapter
and Executive Council meetings. Other duties include:
a. Preparation of the annual report for presentation at
the election meeting.
b. Preparation of the Chapter's activity report and
officer contact information, and submission of these to ACM headquarters.
c. Submission of any proposed amendment to these bylaws
to the Chair of the Membership Activities Board.
d. Proposed amendments must be approved before they can
be submitted to the Chapter's membership for a vote.
e. Perform other duties as assigned by the Chair.
Article VI -
There is no requirement that there be an Executive
Council, but if there is one, the Chair would be the presiding officer. If
there is no specific Executive Council, the set of officers is the Executive
1. The Executive Council shall consist of the Chapter
officers, the immediate past Chair, and chairs of the Chapter's standing
2. The term of the members of the Executive Council
shall be coincident with the terms of the officers. They shall take office on
a date that is the closest possible to every June, 1st and serve for one year.
Article VII -
1. The standing committees of the Chapter shall be
Publications, Conferences, Education, and any foreseeable responsibility
demanded as the Chapter activities are growing (e.g. Arrangements, Membership,
2. General information and first contact with the
Chapter will be accessible through the firstname.lastname@example.org address. This
address is primarily intended for persons wanting a first contact with the
Article VIII -
With the advice of the Chapter's Executive Council, the
Chair may appoint such temporary committees as appropriate.
1. Meetings shall be held as planned by the Program
Committee. The Chapter shall hold meetings only in places that are open and
accessible to all members of the Association.
2. The Annual Business Meeting should be held at the
last meeting of the program year. At this meeting, the Secretary and Treasurer
each shall present the required reports. Also, the election of officers shall
3. Written notices of all meetings shall be distributed
to all members at least one week prior to any meeting.
Article X -
Disbursements and Dues
1. Disbursements from the Treasury for Chapter
expenditures shall be made by the Treasurer with authorization of the
Executive Council and shall be included in the minutes of its meetings.
2. Dues shall be fixed annually by the Executive
Article XI -
Amendment and Voting Procedures
1. All proposed changes to these Chapter Bylaws shall be
approved by the Chairs of the Membership Activities Board and the ACM
Constitution and Bylaws Committee before being presented to the Chapter
membership for a vote.
2. No official business of the Chapter shall be
conducted unless a quorum is present. A quorum of the Chapter shall be defined
as 40 percent of the voting membership of the Chapter attending the meeting or
at least 5 voting members, whichever is greater.
3. A simple majority of the voting members present shall
be required to carry a motion.
4. Officers will be elected by a plurality of votes
cast. If the election is conducted by mail ballot, sufficient ballots must be
returned to have constituted a quorum.
Article XII -
Dissolution of the Chapter
1. Dissolution of this Chapter by consent of the members
shall consist of unanimous agreement of all its officers together with a
majority vote at a meeting which has been publicized in advance to all members
of the Chapter for the purpose of taking this vote.
2. Should this Chapter be dissolved, its assets and
liabilities shall be transferred to ACM and shall be supervised by the
Membership Activities Board.